Friday, July 24, 2026

Economics and Money Unit; Counterfeits; Making Currency

I was excited to study Economics and Money again because this was one of my favorite units long ago! The girls are a good age for it now. I remembered that unit so fondly that I thought maybe I could just use the same lesson plan, but (as always happens when I revisit an old topic) when I got into planning I could see that we needed something different. So many fun things to learn about, though!
We got one of every kind of bill and coin (up to $100, anyway) and looked at all the different security features. We talked about the materials you could make money out of, and the different symbols different countries put on their money, and then the kids designed and made their own!

(We already have our family currency too, Bunny Money.)

Gus took this VERY SERIOUSLY. He put all kinds of hidden features in his money, to the point that there was a secret fabric core inside the bill which could be unveiled in case of counterfeiting. He explained it all to me earnestly.
We experimented with making watermarks, which was fun! 
Ziggy making a sheet of bills
All his finished bills (I like the one that says "God is Good" and also the one that says "Be Good to God.")
Daisy made SUCH good money! She spent so much time making all the details. Her money is called "guin" (for "penguin," of course). I love her picture of Ben Franklin on the front. He is drinking a cup of hot chocolate, which almost looks like his mouth at first glance, but as you can see when you cover his cup, it really is Ben Franklin himself:
Here's the back of the bill. I love the penguin carrying a "guins" banner in his beak. And the steam penguin rising from the cocoa cup.
The security features on this money are amazing! She did "microprinting" strips as well as watermarks:
Amazing!

I don't have that many pictures from other days in this unit, but here are a bunch of good videos and explanations of various topics (many very timely!):


Drink activity—see what happens when prices increase (Chocolate milk, strawberry milk, two juices)

https://www.federalreserveeducation.org/resources/lessons/lesson--how-many-beverages-will-consumers-buy.pdf


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2BGJdCN8Cw&list=PLU6AbyBWHPOvJNhiuJ2oKLOg77Udus7Fs&index=4 supply and demand


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6lXppGBquI the role of prices


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKW9XsRHZi0&list=PLU6AbyBWHPOsRPgdRXd8HFjpCNcQZl--9&index=7 price controls


Scarcity and Abundance:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLU6AbyBWHPOvJNhiuJ2oKLOg77Udus7Fs 1st three in playlist: scarcity, economic decisions, what is an economy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXfEEEcYSvo&list=PLU6AbyBWHPOvJNhiuJ2oKLOg77Udus7Fs&index=6 schools of economic thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qanDVZHliw the missing tile syndrome

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xxmORnnP3WI&t=11s the key to unhappiness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erJEaFpS9ls The broken window fallacy

https://cafehayek.com/2016/02/40405.html richer than Rockefeller


Socialism and communism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTRs5FnoaKA capitalism vs socialism, which is more democratic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdfru9NHGvE capitalism vs socialism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3GfCmbPDN0 Socialism 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50McWj1PRvY Venuzeula, life under socialism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1vo4rws0jU&list=PLU6AbyBWHPOsbkdLGM1n8nmJg_75wEe7f&index=2 Life under communism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhZr03g1PI4 Myths about socialism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdyyoYuToaY&list=PLU6AbyBWHPOsRPgdRXd8HFjpCNcQZl--9&index=11 Redistribution of wealth

https://www.prageru.com/videos/is-communism-moral Is Communism Moral?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEgOuZzjI8o Harrison Bergeron 2081


Free Enterprise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgVDyBqAQNw income inequality Thomas Sowell

Is the free market moral? https://www.prageru.com/videos/a-moral-case-for-capitalism

https://www.prageru.com/videos/is-capitalism-moral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYO3tOqDISE I, Pencil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVh75ylAUXY Make mine freedom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtxElQBupFw&list=PLU6AbyBWHPOvJNhiuJ2oKLOg77Udus7Fs&index=10 Private property for the win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LoeCooct08&list=PLU6AbyBWHPOvJNhiuJ2oKLOg77Udus7Fs&index=8 Profits and losses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9tOx7UiKgA&list=PLU6AbyBWHPOsbkdLGM1n8nmJg_75wEe7f&index=8 Taiwan 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NfLUCBZ1is The moral case for free enterprise


Saving and Budgeting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgoV9Rp-2mM&list=PLU6AbyBWHPOujmcTw8lz1KQRZFHpl2aTk savings playlist, 1st four

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DbfIbIMlbQ Savings Accounts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNMM22cIB1A&list=PLU6AbyBWHPOujmcTw8lz1KQRZFHpl2aTk&index=7 Financial Hygiene


Banks and Credit Unions:

https://wetheeconomy.com/films/that-film-about-money/ bank video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTo0IeqXuZk are banks safe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIMsbgIQiDE banks vs credit unions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAABDYDhjtg compound interest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDscWX2mpe4&list=PLU6AbyBWHPOujmcTw8lz1KQRZFHpl2aTk&index=6 financial institutions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqmxnvjmNc4&list=PLU6AbyBWHPOujmcTw8lz1KQRZFHpl2aTk&index=5 types of accounts

https://www.investor.gov/financial-tools-calculators/calculators/compound-interest-calculator



Investing, Loans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHf9_9fENXY&list=PLU6AbyBWHPOujmcTw8lz1KQRZFHpl2aTk&index=13 stocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks1HOtVM6S4&list=PLU6AbyBWHPOujmcTw8lz1KQRZFHpl2aTk&index=14 bonds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1SWe3zTqYI investing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39nBN3r572Y good vs bad credit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y_QSFxuMfM borrowing 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM3t-m0Zryk the two income trap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVEuPmVAb8o don’t follow your passion



Inflation

https://f.hubspotusercontent30.net/hubfs/19523034/APMacro_PenAuction_Lowd.pdf?hsCtaTracking=23435f3f-dc3b-43d8-856c-c742b42c0476%7C6734559d-7d0c-4fa4-b904-a5ee9a86b5a4 inflation auction with pens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g9KEmUsYxE why not print more money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIA4_l8z7_0 what is inflation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwcHRyvrNCE minimum wage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j01L69eXdI what’s the right minimum wage


https://mru.org/courses/principles-economics-macroeconomics/zimbabwe-currency-inflation hyperinflation

https://mru.org/courses/principles-economics-macroeconomics/costs-of-inflation-price-confusion-money-illusion

https://mru.org/courses/principles-economics-macroeconomics/why-governments-create-inflation parable of inflation 2:05

Comparing prices in different years https://practice.mru.org/calculateinflation/



Fraud:

https://www.conemifyoucan.org/about/index.html Fraud tactics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1b7piSmmME sunk cost fallacy

https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/research-and-resources/scams-awareness-week-2025/scam-stories#toc-real-people-s-stories scam stories

https://edpuzzle.com/media/620d57efb684cb42b9ee3800 scam red flags frank abegnale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEK-BIFGidE scams and fraud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC2Bb0K0yd4 AI scams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i6mPvBv488 5 money scams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iww5zIuzyA can you really get rich quick?

https://vimeo.com/805930371 avoiding impersonation fraud

https://vimeo.com/805930766 online shopping fraud

https://vimeo.com/805930539 payment fraud

https://vimeo.com/805928185 links and attachments


Alternate currencies:

https://www.prageru.com/videos/who-caused-the-2008-great-recession?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=campaign_16991767&recent= who caused the 2008 recession?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE-WJevx-7c Great recession—crayon capital

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gYb0eHvmGhM should I invest in gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggvlgNMr_NE Bitcoin explained

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD5nGj9UPEc Bitcoin cash course

https://www.ramseysolutions.com/retirement/investing-in-cryptocurrency Dave Ramsay advice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx_okFl98Vw the AI bubble


Insurance, Taxes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFKCgppxyyk&list=PLU6AbyBWHPOtfpObuijC3I2auPjQbwkdn&index=11 auto insurance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5AAVxpmdKo&list=PLU6AbyBWHPOtfpObuijC3I2auPjQbwkdn&index=12 insurance basics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFsAkxzTFEs government regulation for business

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6HEH23W_bM progressive income tax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yEKdPaX2hI renting vs owning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg-G85H6kIE&list=PLU6AbyBWHPOsRPgdRXd8HFjpCNcQZl--9&index=5 legend of perfect competition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeZrnbKNkuw government cheese

https://marginalrevolutionuniversity.typeform.com/to/jMgksxhd?typeform-source=practice.mru.org unintended consequences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUzDLpSkQTg why is rolls Royce so expensive

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...