We did this scavenger hunt for Family Home Evening during the unit. It's always good to practice being grateful for the things around us!
One day we all chose people we might not usually appreciate and wrote thank-you notes to them. Gus chose to write his to the Garbage Truck man. I love the recycling sign he drew from memory on the back of the card. When garbage day came, Gus waited eagerly outside, and then Teddy helped him run out and give the note to the garbage truck driver. I wonder what he thought of it?
One fun thing we did was go out to several stores and let the kids practice buying things, ordering things, asking questions of the employees, etc. I would coach them before we went inside, and then withdraw and just let them do it all by themselves (with an older sibling hovering nearby if necessary). I reminded them to speak up, speak clearly, and use polite words like "excuse me" and "could you please." They all did so well! And I think they were very proud of themselves.
(The picture is just of our picnic afterward, where we ate some of the things the kids had ordered or bought. Then we played on a playground and the kids had a few things to say about the other kids' etiquette, or lack thereof! Ha!)
At Scheel's we practiced elevator and escalator etiquette
We also liked doing this "Compliment Board." Anyone in the family could write something nice about anyone else in the family, and we put those things up on the board and then took them off and read them aloud occasionally. It was fun to see the good things people noticed, and I think it helped people want to do good things, too!
A few videos about etiquette:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLtI3PoRzPI etiquette in different cultures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZrCvlcUxfA more rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K41JehFXMI8 girls teaching etiquette
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCo3wSGYRbQ gestures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edSkl9iZfFs Greetings
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WItQ6KpI3cg&pp=4gcKEghzdWJzdGFja4oIAkAB Fixing vocal fry






No comments:
Post a Comment