Friday, July 27, 2012

Wheeler Farm

Wheeler Farmhouse

There are probably dozens of good Utah Heritage places we could have visited for our Pioneer Unit field trip (This is the Place monument, Antelope Island, Kearns Mansion, etc.) but we have seen the signs along I-215 for Wheeler Farm and have always wondered what it is. It's a great place to visit---you can go walk around the grounds and look at the animals, feed the ducks, etc. for free. For $2 a person, you can have a wagon ride and a blacksmith demonstration and make butter and have a guided tour. That's what we did, and it was really fun. We also got to milk a cow---something I have (go ahead and laugh at me, farmers) always wanted to try. It just seemed like an experience one should have! So I was very pleased to get the chance. I'd heard you have to take a while to get the hang of it, but Jessie (our cow) was obviously totally used to this and we barely even needed to squeeze her udders to get the milk to squirt out. I thought it was really cool and so did the kids. Even Daisy, once she got past the fact that cows are HUGE!
It was such a hot, hot day. I had been sick and I had a fever, so I honestly thought I was going to pass out from the heat. When we got home into the cool house I declared we would have root beer floats for dinner. And we did.

Gosling!

Pink cheeks

The only bad part was the flies. So many flies! Yuck!

This was a cool little tree house the kids could play in. There was another little play house over by the river. This would be a great place to come with a picnic---we will have to come back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...